blog trackingRealtime Web Statistics phone Archives - Gregory D. Evans | Worlds No. 1 Security Consultant

Posts Tagged ‘phone’

Fairfield communities use mobile phone app to help fight crime

People in Fairfield are taking action to keep their families out of danger. When they use their cellphones, they’re doing much more than texting. Neighborhood watch-groups are turning-to ‘technology’ to fight crime. You’ve heard it before, “there’s an app for that!” People living Fairfield’s Fair Oaks, Glen Oaks, Forest Hills and Cambridge communities are using an app called Group Me. The app allows users to post messages, upload pictures and alert each other when bad guys roam their neighborhoods. “We get complaints all the time about people running these stop signs, said Forest Hills Neighborhood President Charita Cadenhead. Outside the zooming of cars, Cadenhead considers her neighborhood quiet. “In Forest Hills, it’s still very aesthetically pleasing. I like that about it,” added Cadenhead. But, she’s seen an uptick in crime. “So we are doing what we can to get to know one another. When neighbors get to know one another, we communicate more about what’s going on in the neighborhoods,” added Cadenhead. Cadenhead, and three other neighborhood watch presidents, put Group Me in the hands of homeowners concerned about crime. “They actually track it from block to block and say it’s over here now or I just saw it there […]

View full post on National Cyber Security

The NSA failed to hack your phone

nsa

Source: National Cyber Security - Produced By Gregory Evans

Gemalto, the world’s largest manufacturer of SIM cards, said it believes it was jointly hacked by U.S. and U.K. spy agencies. At the time of the attacks in 2010 and 2011, Gemalto was unable to identify the perpetrator, “but we now think that they could be related to the NSA and GCHQ.” However, the attack “could not have resulted in a massive theft,” the company said in a statement. Gemalto released on Wednesday the results of an internal investigation after media reports last week claimed the NSA and its U.K. counterpart hacked into the company to get hold of encryption keys that allowed access to SIM cards around the globe. Related: Super-sneaky malware found in companies worldwide The attacks breached Gemalto’s office networks and attempted to intercept the encryption keys. But it ultimately failed, due to a secure transfer system Gemalto had in place. Plus, the company said that even if the encryption keys had been stolen, the spy agencies would only have the ability to spy on communications over 2G mobile networks, as 3G and 4G networks “are not vulnerable to this type of attack.” Based in the Netherlands, Gemalto reportedly makes two billion SIM cards per year. Clients […]

For more information go to http://www.NationalCyberSecurity.com, http://www. GregoryDEvans.com, http://www.LocatePC.net or http://AmIHackerProof.com

The post The NSA failed to hack your phone appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

US wants to hack your phone because it doesn’t have real spies it needs

index

Source: National Cyber Security - Produced By Gregory Evans

 Powered by Max Banner Ads  As Google’s Android smartphone operating system was coming under attack in fall 2012 from malware with the colorful names of “Loozfon” and “FinFisher,” the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center issued an alert to help defend against the threat. “Depending on the type of phone,” the FBI said, “the operating system may have encryption available. This can be used to protect the user’s personal data.” How times have changed. Last fall, when Apple and Google announced they were cleaning up their operating systems to ensure that their users’ information was encrypted to prevent hacking and potential data loss, FBI Director James Comey attacked both companies. He claimed the encryption would cause the users to “place themselves above the law.” The tech community fired back. “The only actions that have undermined the rule of law,” Ken Gude wrote in “Wired,” “are the government’s deceptive and secret mass-surveillance programs.” The battle resumed in February 2015. Michael Steinbach, FBI assistant director for counterterrorism, said it is “irresponsible” for companies like Google and Apple to use software that denies the FBI lawful means to intercept data. Yet the FBI does have a lawful means to intercept it: the Foreign Intelligence […]

For more information go to http://www.NationalCyberSecurity.com, http://www. GregoryDEvans.com, http://www.LocatePC.net or http://AmIHackerProof.com

The post US wants to hack your phone because it doesn’t have real spies it needs appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

Hackers developed a new tool that can flood networks with spam phone calls

tnt-instant-up-phone-hacking-tool

Source: National Cyber Security - Produced By Gregory Evans

Hackers are selling a new tool that lets anyone flood a phone network with spam phone calls. The Register reports that Eastern-European hackers have developed a new piece of kit that is being sold online. The TNT Instant Up can be used to flood phone numbers with calls, stopping the phone from being used until the device is turned off. You can buy the device online, if you’re so inclined. The TNT Instant Up works by flooding a phone number with calls, crippling any phone system. It uses several connected modems and SIM cards to repeatedly dial numbers. IntelCrawler reports that hackers are selling the device for prices between $560 and $1,200. You might think that the Instant Up device is perfect for pranks, but it actually has a far more sinister use. Hackers can use TDoS (telephone denial of service) tools to take down crucial systems. IntelCrawler says that the FBI has identified TDoS attacks taking place last summer, and they were aimed at the healthcare sector. It also says that hackers have blocked a 911 emergency service in the US through the use of a similar device. source: http://www.businessinsider.com/tnt-instant-up-phone-hacking-tool-2015-2  

For more information go to http://www.NationalCyberSecurity.com, http://www. GregoryDEvans.com, http://www.LocatePC.net or http://AmIHackerProof.com

The post Hackers developed a new tool that can flood networks with spam phone calls appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

Hackers can track phone users’ location by looking at power supply

spying.si.si

Source: National Cyber Security - Produced By Gregory Evans

 Powered by Max Banner Ads Researchers have found out it is possible to track someone’s mobile phone by looking at how much battery has been used. The data does not need the users’ permission to be shared, while it can help track a phone with up to 90 percent accuracy. The findings were carried out by a group of researchers at Stanford University and the Israeli defense company Rafael. The created a technique, which they have named PowerSpy and can gather information concerning the location of Android phones. It does this by simply tracking how much power has been used over a certain time. How much power is used depends on a number of factors. For example, the further away the phone is from a transmitter, the more power is needed to get a signal. Physical objects such as mountains or buildings also have an impact on the amount of battery needed as these obstacles can block the phone’s signal, meaning there are temporary ‘power drains’ on the devices. “A sufficiently long power measurement (several minutes) enables the learning algorithm to ‘see’ through the noise,” the researchers said, which was reported by Wired. “We show that measuring the phone’s aggregate power […]

For more information go to http://www.NationalCyberSecurity.com, http://www. GregoryDEvans.com, http://www.LocatePC.net or http://AmIHackerProof.com

The post Hackers can track phone users’ location by looking at power supply appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

DOJ to telcos: Have phone kill switches to prevent theft

department-of-justice-building-manila-leanne-jazul-20150216_721F518F10BA42C69CFAAD55420DC386

Source: National Cyber Security - Produced By Gregory Evans

MANILA, Philippines – The cybercrime office of the Department of Justice (DOJ) on Monday, February 16, urged telecommunications companies to adopt a new practice of installing kill switches in smartphones in order to reduce theft of these gadgets. A kill switch is an emergency shutdown mechanism, often activated in circumstances when a device or piece of machinery cannot be shut down normally. DOJ Secretary Leila de Lima noted, “We do not need legislation to implement this.” She said it was “the responsibility of telcos as public utilities to prevent crimes and to ensure that technology is used to address peace and order issues.” Assistant Secretary Geronimo Sy, head of the cybercrime office, said: “It is a common sense solution to a specific type of crime. Commuters and consumer who work hard and save for their phones only to be victimized by criminals will benefit from a small effort from our telcos.” The statement by the DOJ cited a New York study that said mobile phone theft dropped as much as 40% following the introduction of the kill switch feature. According to a report from PCMag, cellphone thefts dropped 16% and iPhone thefts dropped 25% in New York City from January […]

For more information go to http://www.NationalCyberSecurity.com, http://www. GregoryDEvans.com, http://www.LocatePC.net or http://AmIHackerProof.com

The post DOJ to telcos: Have phone kill switches to prevent theft appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

Smartphone Kill Switch Stopping Phone Thieves From Making A Killing

apple-iphone-6

Source: National Cyber Security - Produced By Gregory Evans

It’s getting harder for smartphone thieves to make a living these days as kill switch technology is proving to be a viable, and valuable, anti-theft mechanism. It seems the feature is paying off for consumers using Apple, Samsung and Google, with reports that the number of stolen iPhones between September 2013 and September 2014 dipped by 40 percent in San Francisco and 25 percent in New York. In London, the payoff was even more rewarding with smartphone theft cut in half. The kill switch impact bodes well for Microsoft handset users as Redmond is expected to install the feature in its smartphones at some point this year. “The wireless industry continues to roll out sophisticated new features, but preventing their own customers from being the target of a violent crime is the coolest technology they can bring to market,” stated San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón. A kill switch allows a user or service provider to shut down the phone, yielding it useless to whoever may have swiped it, unless they know the required ID and password for re-activation. The news will likely spur more individual states to enact laws requiring smartphone and cellphone makers to install the security feature. Minnesota […]

For more information go to http://www.NationalCyberSecurity.com, http://www. GregoryDEvans.com, http://www.LocatePC.net or http://AmIHackerProof.com

The post Smartphone Kill Switch Stopping Phone Thieves From Making A Killing appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

News Corp won’t be prosecuted in US in relation to phone hacking

11ac059c-8219-4760-9686-7dc94b588ced-620x372

Source: National Cyber Security - Produced By Gregory Evans

Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation will not face any charges in the US in relation to phone hacking and payments to public officials by News of the World journalists in the UK, the company said. “News Corporation was notified by the United States Department of Justice that it has completed its investigation of voicemail interception and payments to public officials in London and is declining to prosecute the company or 21st Century Fox,” the company said in a regulatory filing. The company had faced the threat of an investigation under the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), which bans US companies from attempting to bribe foreign officials. Gerson Zweifach, general counsel for both News Corp and 21st Century Fox, Murdoch’s film and TV business, said: “We are grateful that this matter has been concluded and acknowledge the fairness and professionalism of the Department of Justice throughout this investigation.” It is understood there has been no background settlement with the Department of Justice in order to avoid a full-blown investigation, contrary to speculation in New York over a year ago that the company was looking at a possible payment of over $850m. The Department of Justice (DoJ) said: “Based upon the information […]

For more information go to http://www.NationalCyberSecurity.com, http://www. GregoryDEvans.com, http://www.LocatePC.net or http://AmIHackerProof.com

The post News Corp won’t be prosecuted in US in relation to phone hacking appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

How will the Guardian and the BBC cover the Trinity Mirror phone hacking?

British Media Await Lord Justice Leveson's Report

Source: National Cyber Security - Produced By Gregory Evans

Trinity Mirror have admitted that they published 71 stories which were enabled by phone-hacking. Now eight cases are due to come before Mr Justice Mann at the beginning of March, with a two-week trial scheduled. Those they concern include Alan Yentob, Sadie Frost and Paul Gascoigne. Steerpike is curious to see what coverage the trial will get in the papers and from the BBC. Both the corporation and the Guardian have taken glee in the past at resting the phone hacking crimes firmly in Rupert Murdoch’s court. Giving the impression, of course, that the sin of hacking came straight from the blackness of Murdoch’s heart – rather than a sin that was spread right across an industry. At the time of the News of the World allegations, Roy Greenslade wrote on his Guardian blog that the decision to close the paper was an ‘entirely proportionate’ response to ‘the crisis that was engulfing the paper’. Interestingly, in the case of Trinity Mirror, Greenslade, who was editor of The Daily Mirror from 1990 to 1991 , thinks no such step is needed. ‘I wouldn’t wish to see Trinity brought down, especially given the fact that it is under new management and has new editors in place,’ he writes in a […]

For more information go to http://www.NationalCyberSecurity.com, http://www. GregoryDEvans.com, http://www.LocatePC.net or http://AmIHackerProof.com

The post How will the Guardian and the BBC cover the Trinity Mirror phone hacking? appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

Journalists Bribed Police for Royals’ phone numbers? Andy Coulson, Clive Goodman to be retried

B_Image_10001

Source: National Cyber Security - Produced By Gregory Evans

Andy Coulson, the former editor of News of the World, will go on trial yet again this summer. Coulson’s retrial for accusations of paying police officers for a phone directory for the royal family is scheduled for this June, the Guardian reported. After Coulson resigned as editor in 2007 following phone hacking charges against the tabloid newspaper, Prime Minister David Cameron hired him to be his communications director. Coulson resigned that position in 2011 amidst new and expanded phone hacking charges.  He was found guilty of phone hacking last year. Along with Coulson, former News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman also will be re-tried. Both face two charges of conspiring to commit misconduct in public office.  Goodman was previously jailed and pleaded guilty to phone hacking back in 2007. Coulson and Goodman’s retrial begins June 29. “He and Goodman were accused of paying £1,000 to a police officer at St James’s Palace for a copy of the royal directory known as the Green Book,” the Guardian reported. It was alleged Goodman organised the deal in January 2003, and Coulson approved payment by email.” Goodman and Coulson deny the claims, the BBC noted. Coulson was released from jail in […]

For more information go to http://www.NationalCyberSecurity.com, http://www. GregoryDEvans.com, http://www.LocatePC.net or http://AmIHackerProof.com

The post Journalists Bribed Police for Royals’ phone numbers? Andy Coulson, Clive Goodman to be retried appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

Page 1 of 2312345»1020...Last »

Get The New Book By Gregory Evans

Everyone Is Talking About!

Are You Hacker Proof?
$15.95

Find Out More, Click Here!