Akamai Technologies/Cambridge, MA (MA)
Senior System Software Engineer – Site Application Engineering
Posted Date: 3/9/2012
Cost Center: 264
About the Job
Akamai’s Site Application Engineering team is looking for an experienced System Software Engineer to work on integration of our new Front End Optimization technology into our globally distributed computing platform. This engineer will be assisting in design and development for the integration of our optimization software that quickly delivers high-performing sites with superior end-user experience for our customers. By leveraging Akamai’s globally distributed computing platform, we can build unique and powerful technology solutions to today’s content delivery challenges.
About the Team
With the rapid adoption of rich Internet applications and the increase in mobile browsing, new performance bottlenecks are emerging. Websites are becoming richer and more complex, with more compute requirements built into a single page, impacting performance in the browser or device. Our Front End Optimization technology will be designed to automatically optimize the code on a web page during the delivery process to ensure faster transmission of content and a faster rendering of the page. This technology will complement Akamai's market-leading site acceleration solutions.
- Assist in integration of our new Front End Optimization technology into the Akamai platform systems and operations.
- Work with Quality Assurance teams to increase quality and reliability of software.
- Work with Operations to increase operationalization and offload monitoring & troubleshooting tasks from engineering.
- Work on projects that increase stability, security, and reliability of our network.
- Quickly work through complex issues in the production network, test networks, and related processes.
- Some travel between Cambridge and Ottawa may be required.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or similar field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with object oriented languages in Unix/Linux environments.
- Minimum of 3 years working with Internet protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP/IP, and HTTP.
- Minimum of 3 years experience working with high performing high availability mission critical systems.
- Experience with server side development in Java.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Experience with end-to-end software development and release processes.
- Knowledge of the Akamai platform and systems, or a similar large scale global distributed system.
- Extensive experience working on multiple projects at a time in a fast paced, results oriented environment.
- Highly responsible, self-disciplined, motivational, creative, confident and a quick learner.
- Is relocation available for this position: No
- Is US Citizenship required: No
- Is a Security Clearance Required: No
If yes, applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation & must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
No one carries more of the world's Web traffic than Akamai, so working with Akamai means you’re helping some of the world’s best known brands succeed in bringing any experience to any device, anywhere. Cloud computing, SaaS, eCommerce, online entertainment and dynamic personalized experiences are all fueled by Akamai technology. Join Akamai and you join a culture that’s extremely intelligent, strongly supportive and passionately committed to delivering world-class solutions. Some of the best minds in business, mathematics, and engineering work at Akamai â€“ leading, learning and shaping the future of the Internet.
If you're excited by Akamai and would like to help change the online landscape please apply. No time to apply? Join our Talent Community.
Akamai Technologies is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer (M/F/D/V) that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace.
Apply To Job
View full post on Wired Jobs
View full post on National Cyber Security